GLAAD Media Award recipients were announced in 12 of this year’s 25 media categories at the 29th Annual GLAAD Media Awards presented by Delta Air Lines, Gilead, Ketel One Family-Made Vodka, and Wells Fargo at the Beverly Hilton in Los Angeles on Thursday night. At the event, celebrities sported blue “&” pins for GLAAD’s Together movement – representing GLAAD’s work on intersectional issues including immigration, racial justice, women’s rights, and LGBTQ acceptance. This subtle yet powerful symbol represents the power of solidarity and great accomplishments that occur when marginalized community groups – including women, Muslims, immigrants, and LGBTQ people – resist together.
Following is a complete list of GLAAD Media Awards presented on stage, and the individuals that accepted the awards:
- Vanguard Award: Britney Spears [presented by Ricky Martin]
- Stephen F. Kolzak Award: Jim Parsons [presented by Ryan Murphy]
- Outstanding Drama Series: This Is Us (NBC) [accepted by Denis O’Hare; presented by Rachel Bloom and Ben Feldman]
- Outstanding Individual Episode (in a series without a regular LGBTQ character): “Thanksgiving” Master of None (Netflix) [accepted by Lena Waithe; presented by Halle Berry]
- Outstanding Kids & Family Programming winner: Andi Mack (Disney Channel)
- Outstanding Comedy Series: Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX) [accepted by Chelsea Peretti, Stephanie Beatriz, Melissa Fumero and producer Dan Goor; presented by Chloe Grace-Moretz and Tom Payne]
The following is a list of other award recipients announced at the 29th Annual GLAAD Media Awards in Los Angeles:
- Outstanding Film – Limited Release A Fantastic Woman (Sony Pictures Classics)
- Outstanding TV Movie or Limited Series: When We Rise (ABC)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Black Panther: World of Wakanda (Marvel Comics)
- Outstanding Daily Drama: The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism Article: “Why Bisexual Men Are Still Fighting to Convince Us They Exist” by Samantha Allen (Splinter)
- Outstanding Blog: TransGriot (transgriot.blogspot.com)
- Outstanding Scripted Television Series: Las Chicas Del Cable (Netflix)
- Outstanding Digital Journalism: “Tres Hemanitos Para Dos Papás” por Jacqueline García (laopinion.com)
GLAAD announced a Special Recognition Award to the animated short film In A Heartbeat.
The Los Angeles GLAAD Media Awards were held on April 12th at the Beverly Hilton.
The GLAAD Media Awards recognize and honor media for their fair, accurate and inclusive representations of the LGBTQ community and the issues that affect their lives. They also fund GLAAD’s work to amplify stories from the LGBTQ community that build support for equality. GLAAD Media Award nominees were published, released or broadcast between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2017.
The 29th Annual GLAAD Media Awards corporate partners include Presenting Partners Delta Air Lines, Gilead, Ketel One Family-Made Vodka, and Wells Fargo. GLAAD is also grateful to: Official Partner Bud Light; Platinum Partners 21st Century Fox, Allstate Insurance Company, AT&T, Creative Artists Agency (CAA), Comcast NBCUniversal | Telemundo, Disney ABC Television Group | ESPN, Hyundai, Kaiser Permanente, Kelley Drye, MetLife, NBA | WNBA, Netflix, Omnicom Group, Sheppard Mullin, Southwest Airlines, and Turner; Gold Partners CBS | Showtime, Facebook, Nielsen, PwC, UM, Univision, Warner Bros.; and Silver Partners Coca-Cola, Hornet, Major League Baseball, Morgan Stanley, Pride Media, Skadden, Variety, and WWE.
Photo License All rights reserved by GLAAD